3-Ingredient Homemade Organic Kamut® Noodles
One of the most delicious things to make at home is a great pasta! Today we're using the ancient wheat variety known as Kamut®, sometimes called the durum semolina of the ancient Egyptians, this grain is very high in protein (12-18%) and is ideal for making pasta. Add to it the remarkable fact that it is always organic and non-GMO and it's a sure win! Homemade pasta making can be a little difficult at first, so we're starting with simple fettuccine noodles today. The basic recipe below will yield about 16 oz of noodles. Give it a try.
3 organic, free-range eggs
1 tsp salt
1. Wash and sanitize all work surfaces, hands and utensils before working with raw flour
2. Combine the Kamut Flour and salt, dig a well into the mixture and add the eggs
3. With a fork, whisk the eggs into the flour, forming a soft-batter type of dough, and then a nice rough dough
4. Stir well and make a rough ball out of the mixture that sticks together. *Note: there
may be a little flour left over that doesn't mix into a ball
5. Lightly flour the counter top and knead the dough for a few minutes until it is well combined and smoother. *Note: it will still look rough, but that's normal
6. Divide into 2 balls
7. Take one of the balls of dough and roll it out on the counter top, until about 1/2-1 inch thick and 2 feet long
8. Fold dough into thirds like a travel brochure
9. Roll out the dough again, on a well-floured surface until it is about 3 feet long
10. Repeat the folding step, and roll one last time until it is very thin, about 1/8 inch or less
11. When rolled out, it will be approximately 5 feet long.
12. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, make the cuts for the noodles (they will be about
1/4 inch in width and 12 inches in length)
13. Repeat the whole process with the second ball of dough
14. Transfer the noodles to a drying rack and allow to air dry a few minutes
1. Bring a gallon of salted water to a rolling boil
2. Put the noodles in all at once and cook 2-4 minutes
3. Drain and lightly drizzle with olive oil, season as desired.